Monday, October 4, 2010

Philippe Mouchel's Brasserie - Melbourne Sep 2010


The Brasserie - By Philippe Mouchel

The restaurant with consistently prepared steaks that never disappoints.... But did it, this time?

The Brasserie has been one of my most frequented restaurants in Melbourne other than Ocha. They offer set lunches and pre-theater set dinners before 7pm every night if I'm not wrong which are reasonably priced.

Bread with extra virgin olive oil and spices. Ask for their thick/ reduced balsamic vinegar when you visit, goes so go with the olive oil on the bread.

Escargot with egg cocotte and tomato fondue: Did not really like this dish, which lacked the omphh factor. It was mild and somehow brought out the raw taste of the snails. Preferred their traditional escargot with herbs, garlic and butter which is not available on the menu anymore.

The braserrie chicken liver and foie gras terrine: Hmm.... too much chicken liver, was there even foie gras?? Disappointing! Used to be a foie gras terrine dish which was heaps better (also not available anymore).

Pan seared scallops, shallot puree, and pickled fennel: This dish wasn't too bad. The scallops were fresh, while I ordered the main portion (this dish was also on the entree menu), there were only 6 scallops for AUD$36. I would say maybe for someone who's on a diet?

I've always loved their steaks and beef cheeks which we will definitely order each time. This was the most promising dish of the night as usual, what the restaurant has lived up to... steaks and beef cheeks. However, this time, the beef cheeks were not so tasty.

Perhaps I should try another restaurant the next trip rather than returning... so many restaurants, so little time.

Cheers!E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.